2 militants CRPF commandant killed in Nowhata shootout

August 16, 2016 TOP STORIES 331 Views

In the Nowhatta militant attack in Srinagar, a CRPF commandant and two militants were killed in a gunfight despite the strict curfew in the Kashmir Valley in view of terror threats on India’s Independence Day.
Reports of five CRPF jawans and one policeman getting injured in the Nowhatta district of Srinagar, after three terrorists attacked security forces in Srinagar, came in on the morning of India’s 70th Independence day. Police reinforcements were rushed in as the exchange of fire continued.
Nowhatta(Srinagar) terror attack UPDATE: Two terrorists killed, operation continues
“Militants attacked a CRPF post,” a police official had said.
Pramod Kumar, commandant of the 49 Battalion of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), was killed after four militants hurled a grenade and opened fire at a security patrol in an old city area.
Nine paramilitary troopers were also injured in the attack. They have been shifted to a hospital.
Police said the attackers entered a house in Nowhatta – close to the historic Jamia Masjid, the main mosque in Srinagar. “Two of the militants were gunned down and the other two are still firing from the house,” a police officer said.
Security forces had cordoned off the area,
The incident took place at around 8.45 am, after the local police assisted by the Army, launched a cordon and search operation at Nowhatta area following information about the presence of terrorists in the area, according to News18.
As per the reports, the jawans were attacked by terrorists right after the cordon was established.
“Terrorists’ movement was reported from the area. We began a search operation and came in contact with the terrorists, leading to exchange of fire,” police sources said.
Much of Srinagar has been under curfew continuously almost for five weeks since the killing of a militant commander on 8 July sparked widespread protests, leaving 56 people dead and thousands injured.
Restrictions were tighter on Monday as separatists had called for pro-freedom protests to mark the Independence Day. The main official function was held at Bakhshi stadium near Lal Chowk in Srinagar amid tight security. Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti hoisted the national flag and addressed the gathering.
Meanwhile, two other terrorists were killed by the army on Monday morning, in the Uri sector along The Line of Control, foiling their infiltration attempt, as reported by ANI.
On Sunday, the ceasefire that had been peacefully observed for four months was violated, as Pakistan Army fired at two places, shelling mortars. Indian troops retaliated to this firing.

Related articles