Militant killed in Ladhoo encounter, another escapesSpike in militant activities in south Kashmir ahead of Anantnag bypoll

June 20, 2016 TOP STORIES 409 Views
Militant killed in Ladhoo encounter, another escapesSpike in militant activities in south Kashmir ahead of Anantnag bypoll

An encounter broke out between the security forces and the militants in Ladhoo village of Pulwama district on Sunday afternoon, resulting in the killing of a militant.
According to police sources, one of the two militants holed up has been killed in the encounter. Witnesses said firing shots were heard during an ongoing cordon of a forest belt in Khrew near Pampore.
Police sources said a joint team of police and the Army soldiers were carrying out the search operation when the firing shots were heard. Acting on intelligence inputs, soldiers from 50-RR and police jointly had cordoned off a particular belt of forests in Khrew, slightly ahead of the Ladhoo belt following suspicion about presence of militants in the area.
Cordon was in place when firing shots were heard. “Initially, there was no contact after the shots were heard. However, there was exchange of fire between the two sides after some time, sparking an encounter during which one militant was killed. Our men are on ground and trying to neutralise the second militant.”
However, the second militant managed to give slip to forces following which the encounter was called off. “When a cordon was being laid around the place where militants were reportedly hiding, forces were fired upon. The forces retaliated and a militant was killed,” a senior police officer said.
Although more reinforcements were rushed to augment the strength of the forces engaged in the operation, they couldn’t find the second militants. The identity of the slain militant has not been ascertained so far.
The encounter comes days after the Army and J&K Police Friday killed two local Hizbul Mujahideen militants in Sopore area. Protests broke out in the area soon after the encounter began, during which two civilians, including a woman, suffered injuries.
The Special Operation Group of J&K Police and Army’s 22 Rashtriya Rifles cordoned off Bomia village on the outskirts of Sopore town. While the search operation was in progress, the militants opened fire. The exchange of fire that followed continued for five hours, during which two militants hiding in a single-storey house were killed. Two weapons were recovered from the slain militants.
Earlier, four militants were killed in an encounter near the Line of Control in Tangdhar sector in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kupwara district. An army soldier was also killed in the firing.
The encounter started after Army intercepted a group of heavily-armed infiltrators in the morning. It was second infiltration bid foiled by the Army in the last three days.

Related articles