Day 102: Kashmir relatively peaceful

Hamid Tariq/Srinagar
October 18, 2016 TOP STORIES 195 Views
Day 102: Kashmir relatively peaceful

The shutdown in restive Kashmir Valley continued for the 102nd consecutive day while authorities foiled separatists’ plans to hold protests in the city and elsewhere on Tuesday.
Security forces burst teargas shells and resorted to lathicharge to foil separatist rally at Naugam on Srinagar-Charar-e-Sharief road in the central Kashmir district of Badgam.
Official source said that trouble started when people from different village were marching towards Naugam following separatist call to participate in the rally there.
Security forces had been deployed in strength on all roads leading to Naugam on the Charar-e-Sharief to foil the rally. However, people raising pro freedom slogans refused to disperse and tried to march towards the venue of the rally, security forces resorted to lathicharge which had no impact on demonstrators.
Later security forces burst teargas shells to disperse the demonstrators who were pelting stones.
Additional security orces were rushed to the area to maintain peace and normalcy.
Shops, business establishments and educational institutions remained shut while in some areas of Srinagar city including Sanat Nagar, Jawahar Nagar, Rajbagh and Khayam Chowk some shops were seen open.Police said that over situation in Valley remained peaceful, however, in some parts pro-freedom rallies were organized while at some places clashes broke out between protesters and government forces. The separatists had asked people to “assemble and occupy” roads including in Lal Chowk, the nerve centre of the city. The separatist had asked people to observe the day also as Womens Day. Reports from different parts of Kashmir said that scores of youth were picked up by police during nocturnal raids.Over 400 persons have been booked under Public Safety Act (PSA) while around 9000 have been arrested.
On the call of Resistance leadership, Dukhtaran-e-Milat activists organized a freedom rally at Yemrach Yaripora area of South Kashmir’s Kulgam district. The rally was attended by hundreds of women who chanted pro-freedom slogans. The rally passed through many villages of the district. Large number of women also carried out a pro-freedom rally at New Theed Harwan area of Srinagar city. The rally was attended by a large number of women who chanted pro-freedom slogans. Locals from New Theed Harawan alleged that during a nocturnal raid on Monday, not only two persons were arrested but houses were damaged and people were roughed up.
Locals from Kulgam alleged that CRPF erect barricades on daily basis in the main chowk at around 8 in the evening and restrict the movement of the people. Those who have to visit the hospital face tremendous hardships as CRPF personnel from 18 battalion don’t allow the movement of the people in main chowk Kulgam, they said.
Government forces resorted to teargas shelling to foil a proposed pro-freedom march in Chadoora town of central Kashmir’s Budgam district.
Reports said that dozens of people tried to assemble in Nagam village chowk and stage a rally on the call of separatist leadership which has called for ‘Nagam chalo’ on Tuesday. However, government armed forces rushed to the village and resorted to tear smoke shelling to disperse the people. Army was also deployed in the area to foil the freedom march.
Government forces according to reports resorted to aerial firing to break up a pro-freedom protest demonstration in Rahmoo village of Pulwama in south Kashmir. Witnesses and reports said that a large number of people had assembled in Rahmoo village when an army vehicle reached at the spot. Soon, clashes erupted and army fired several rounds in air to disperse the protesters.
Locals said that on Monday evening a patrolling party from nearby Army camp thrashed a youth while her sister slapped the Army man. The incident forced people to hit to roads while on Tuesday people resorted to heavy stone-pelting when army vehicles appeared in the village. Witnesses and reports said that at least three army vehicles were damaged during the clashes. Locals added that a youth suffered serious injuries and was shifted to Bones and Joint Hospital Srinagar for advanced treatment.
Meanwhile,no untoward incident was reported from any part of the valley today. “Shops and other business establishments were open while transport also plied on all routes in the valley,” it said.
Meanwhile, the statement said that continuing its action against the persons involved in disrupting the public order in different parts of the valley, police arrested 122 such individuals during past 24 hours.

Related articles