Despite mobile internet ban, rumour mongers still active in Kashmir

BK Web Desk/Srinagar
April 21, 2017 0 Comments BREAKING NEWS 341 Views
Despite mobile internet ban, rumour mongers still active in Kashmir

Despite mobile internet ban for the past seven days, rumour mongers are still active in Kashmir valley, where police rejected the reports that a girl, injured in stone pelting in the downtown city, has succumbed.
The authorities had banned mobile internet service of all Cellular companies, including the Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) for the past seven days in the valley, where there was a sudden spurt in the protests and violence after over 60 students of a college in Pulwama were injured in security force and police action last Saturday.
To curb the spread of rumours through social networking sites, the authorities had directed all cellular companies, including BSNL to suspend mobile internet service in the valley. People were posting pictures of alleged security forces ‘atrocities’ on youth in the valley.
However, broadband internet service of BSNL and other local point to point service providers were functioning normally, though with very low speed.
The authorities banned mobile internet immediately after the incident as precautionary measure to prevent any rumours. However, despite internet ban, rumours spread yesterday about the girl’s health.
A Police Spokesman immediately reacted and said that some miscreants floated rumours regarding Ms Iqra, daughter of Mohammad Sidiq Misger, resident of Hawal, who was hit by a stone on April 17 at Sakedafar Safakadal during a stone pelting incident.
Iqra, who is under treatment at SMHS Hospital, is recovering fast. The rumours are baseless, the Spokesman added.
However, suspension of the facility hit professionals, mediapersons, students and others. Many students said that their studies were affected badly due to the ban on mobile internet.
Mobile internet was suspended on April 8 to prevent any rumours during bypoll in Srinagar Parliamentary constituency and resumed on April 13. However, after Pulwama incident, the service was again suspended from April 16.

Related articles


No Comments Yet!

You can be first to comment this post!

Leave a Reply