Govt. foils ‘Kulgam chalo’Strict curfew reimposed in Srinagar, parts of south Kashmir | Police prevent Geelani, Mirwaiz from visiting Kulgam, arrested

July 28, 2016 TOP STORIES 378 Views
Govt. foils ‘Kulgam chalo’Strict curfew reimposed in Srinagar, parts of south Kashmir | Police prevent Geelani, Mirwaiz from visiting Kulgam, arrested

Authorities in Kashmir Wednesday foiled the separatists’ program of ‘Kulgam chalo’ by arresting top Hurriyat leaders and imposing strict restrictions in summer capital Srinagar and parts of south Kashmir.
Veteran Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani was arrested by cops after he tried to defy restrictions imposed in and around his residence. Witnesses said the ageing leader tried to march towards Kulgam district of south Kashmir.
“Geelani saheb was arrested by police at New Airport Road outside his Hyderpora residence, a Hurriyat spokesman said. He said the separatist leader, who was under house arrest, was then taken to Police Station Humhama.
The separatists had called for a march to Kulgam district, which has seen 10 deaths in the unrest in the Valley. “Geelani tried to march towards Kulgam to participate in a rally for expressing solidarity with people,” the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, police also arrested the chairman of moderate Hurriyat, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, outside his Nigeen residence when he was leaving for Kulgam, a Hurriyat spokesman said.
He said a huge contingent of police detained Mirwaiz and took him to Nigeen Police Station. The joint resistance leadership had asked people to march towards Kulgam district and participate in a rally to be held there after the Zuhar (afternoon) prayers today to express solidarity with people there and pay tributes to the civilian killed by forces in the current uprising.
Strict curfew was reimposed in the summer capital, a day after the authorities lifted restrictions which sparked violent clashes in parts of downtown where agitated protesters, shouting anti-India and pro-freedom slogans, pelted stones at forces.
Fearing a repeat of Tuesday, authorities imposed strict restrictions in downtown areas even as residents complain of lack of essentials, “Over the last three weeks, police and paramilitary forces are deployed outside our home who prevent us from moving out. We move out in night to purchase vegetables,” Ghulam Rasool, a resident of Safa Kadal, told Brighter Kashmir.
Situation remained relatively peaceful in all parts of the Valley with severe rains forcing most people to stay indoors, “There are no reports of an untoward incident from any part of the Valley, although minor incidents of stone pelting were reported from parts of south Kashmir,” a senior police officer said.
Meanwhile, a police spokesperson said the situation throughout the Kashmir valley remained “peaceful and under control”. “There was no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the valley,” the spokesperson said in a statement.
“Apart from Police Stations of old city Srinagar, Kulgam and town Anantnag, there were no restrictions anywhere in the Kashmir valley. All post paid mobile services were restored last night,” the statement added.

Related articles