Police angry over JK CM Mehbooba govt’s ‘exercise restraint’ order

BK Web Desk/ Srinagar
June 18, 2017 BREAKING NEWS 355 Views

Saturday saw another big fat militant funeral in Kashmir. Hundreds of villagers, some carrying Pakistani flags, attended the funeral of Lashkar-e-Taiba militant Junaid Mattoo, who was killed in an encounter at Arwin+ in Kulgam on Friday, even as dozens of terrorists fired assault rifles in the air.
And, barely 22km from Mattoo’s village, in Awantipora in Pulwama district, was another much quieter funeral of a 26-year-old policeman who was one of the six killed by the LeT+ to avenge Mattoo. The faces of the six were also mutilated.
“Feroz had committed no crime and yet they killed him,” sobbed the mother of deceased SHO Feroz Dar. She blamed Pakistan for her son’s death.
SHO Feroz Ahmad Dar+ , along with five other policemen, was killed on Friday in a gruesome ambush in Achabal in Anantnag district by suspected LeT terrorists who tried to disfigure their faces before walking away with their weapons.
A colleague said, “Feroz had invited his family to Shopian a few days ago for a reunion, but instead they got the news of his killing.”
Besides the expression of grief, there was also anger among the state force at the administration’s directions to “exercise restraint” in dealing with militancy in the valley.
Senior officers, who wished to remain anonymous, said the Mehbooba government had issued instructions to police to exercise maximum restraint while dealing with terrorists.
“The PDP-headed government owes a lot to the Jamiat-e-Islami workers for winning the polls in 2014 and, therefore, the government has a soft corner for separatists and secessionists who preach hatred against police,” said an angry police officer.
There was also no cop or paramilitary jawan visible during Mattoo’s funeral. Another slain constable Sabzar Ahmad was laid to rest in his ancestral graveyard at Nowgam in Shopian.
The 25-year-old was married only six weeks ago. Constable Shahzad Dilwar Sofi of Bandipora, killed at Hydrepora by car-borne terrorists, is survived by nine-month-old twin male infants and his wife.
Shahzad’s wife, Safina Farooq, was grief-stricken. “We got married only two years ago. Shahzad was also a graduate with B-Ed but joined the police force for better livelihood a few years ago,” cried Safina.
A village elder, Ghulam Mohammad Parray, was incensed at the militants for killing a “gentle soul like Shahzad”. “Why are such good people being killed by these militants?” asked the 85-year-old Parray.
Police authorities decided to donate a day’s salary of the entire state police force to the families of the deceased policemen killed since January this year in various terrorist attacks.(ToI)

Related articles